Pages


T-Mobile G2: His Review | Her Review

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Google Goggles now solves sudoku


Google pushed out an updated version of their popular Goggles app this week for both Android and iOS. The update includes a number of new features, such as improved barcode scanning, improved QR code support, faster response times, etc.

The update also gives Goggles the ability to recognize ads in magazines and newspapers. The app should be able to recognize ads from August 2010 and later, and will allow you to view more detail on the ad as well as visit the advertiser's website. A very cool feature.



But by far the coolest new addition is that Goggles can now solve sudoku puzzles. No, really. Just use Goggles to take a picture of the puzzle and hit Solve. Goggles does the rest, completely solving the puzzle in seconds. This is definitely one of those, "because we can" features, but it's very impressive nonetheless. Even if you never play sudoku, you should still find a puzzle and give it a try.

To download Goggles, search the Market for Google Goggles, tap here from your phone, or scan this QR Code. [via Google Mobile Blog]

This is so cool. I don't play sudoku very often, and even if I did, I don't think I'd use this since it basically amounts to cheating, but it's still extremely cool in a futuristic kind of way. Goggles is a very powerful and impressive app already, and this just makes it all the better. If you've never tried it, or if you haven't tried it in a while, definitely check it out.



I have to admit that it's actually kind of cool. But I don't think I'll ever be able to play Sudoku again knowing this is available. I'll never finish a puzzle on my own again.

No comments:

Post a Comment