Pages


T-Mobile G2: His Review | Her Review

Monday, December 6, 2010

The Nexus S is finally official! UPDATE: $529

After literally months of rumors, Google unveiled the Nexus S today! The device runs Android 2.3, Gingerbread, is made by Samsung, and offers a pure Google experience. It features a 4" curved glass screen, front and rear cameras, 16GB of memory, 1GHz processor, and has NFC technology. It will be available very soon either unlocked or with a T-Mobile contract. It will be sold at Best Buy in the US, and Carphone Warehouse in the UK.

This means that all the rumors about the device pretty much lined up exactly.



The Nexus S will be the first device to run Android 2.3, Gingerbread. This version brings a number of improvements, such as better copy/paste, visual tweaks, VoIP support, support for advanced gyroscope hardware, etc. Google promises that the Gingerbread code will be released in the coming weeks, meaning other devices will likely receive the update in the coming months.

You can read more about the Nexus S at the official website, where you can also sign up to be alerted when it goes on sale.

UPDATE: Best Buy has issued a press release for the device, which says it will be $529 if purchased unlocked, or $199 if purchased with a T-Mobile contract.  [via Google]

It's super exciting that this device finally got official, and that Gingerbread is finally here. It's got way too many downsides to ever be interesting to me, personally, but I love that Google is continuing the Nexus brand, even it is with Samsung. Without a trackpad, or keyboard, I simply don't want it. NFC is really interesting and it'll be great to see where that goes. Even Gingerbread itself doesn't seem that exciting, bringing only small improvements. But it's great to see Android continue to evolve and improve. Now I wait for Gingerbread on my G2, officially or otherwise.



I could care less about the phone, but I've been waiting for Gingerbread. And even though it doesn't look like a super exciting update, I'm sure it will make a noticeable difference in my phone performance. I can't wait to get it on my phone.

While I'm not particularly interested in this device, I am a fan of Google continuing the Nexus line, as I think it's a great concept and a step in the right direction. I think the way cell phones are sold in the United States needs some serious help. Google and the Nexus line won't change anything fast, but at least they're breaking away from the mold a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment