Pages


T-Mobile G2: His Review | Her Review

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Official Google Reader app now available


A few days ago, Google released the long-desired official Google Reader app. The app brings the full power of Reader to Android without needing to navigate the mobile website version.

It supports multiple accounts, sharing, and even subscribing to feeds right from the app. It also offers a few unique features, like the ability to use the volume keys to navigate up and down, and folder management.



The app syncs all preferences and feeds on the fly, meaning there's no offline mode yet. But it's likely safe to assume that true offline reading will be coming soon. The official Reader app is available now in the Market and works on devices running Android 1.6 or higher (meaning even the classic G1 will support it).

To download, search the Market for Google Reader (there are lots of 3rd party apps, so make sure you get the right one), tap here from your phone, or scan this QR Code.

This app is very impressive for a first release. There are still some things that I don't like about it, but it's still really good. The ability to quickly go up and down through stories using the forward and back buttons, or the volume buttons, is a really nice touch. But I personally still prefer the mobile web version, since it has a smaller font size, and more intelligently handles marking all as read. The app is a great start, though, and I look forward to future updates.



I'm a big fan. I don't read Google Reader from my phone much lately, but this is going to make it so much easier when I do. I personally didn't like the online interface very much--I found it cumbersome. I really like the arrows at the bottom when reading through a feed. I haven't played around with it too much, so I don't have a more in-depth review, but if nothing else it's another option for people who don't want to use the web version. It will be especially nice when there is an offline option, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment