Pages


T-Mobile G2: His Review | Her Review

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The new Motorola Defy is dust and waterproof

Motorola just announced their newest rugged handset, the Defy. The phone features Android 2.1, a 3.7" screen, 5MP camera with flash, and the usual GPS, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc. But the Defy is special because it's IP67 certified, meaning it's completely dustproof, as well as waterproof up to 3 feet. It's powered by an 800MHz processor and has a Gorilla Glass screen, making it nearly indestructible, or as Motorola says, "virtually lifeproof."



The Defy should be available in Europe before the end of the year, and no information was given on any release for the US. However, there was a rumor from a few weeks ago about a waterproof Motorola device coming to T-Mobile, so this just might be destined for the US after all. Time will tell, as always.

Be sure to check out Engadget's coverage of the Defy, as well as Motorola's official product page.

See, this is the kind of innovation I like to see. It seems like everyone is making keyboardless slate devices to compete with the iPhone, but this is different. I like seeing manufacturers try new things, and if this device is as durable as it seems, it could be perfect for a lot of people. It's feature packed enough to appeal to most smartphone buyers, and it's rugged and durable to boot. If I weren't already madly in love with the G2, I would consider getting this.



Yes! If the G2 didn't exist, I would buy this phone. Even still, it's kind of a tough call for me. If I could, I would probably buy both. I own an indestructible camera and I love the freedom of not ever having to worry about it. It makes so much sense to make cell phones that give you the same freedom. Especially because most people prefer to have their cell phones with them at all times. I've been lobbying for waterproof (and shockproof, crushproof, whatever) cell phones since I got my camera. I can't wait until that's the norm. It's about time, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment